- Welding – Process of joining similar metals (or thermoplastic).
- By heating them to suitable temperature
- May or may not require pressure
- May or may not require Filler metal
- Brazing -Process of joining dis-similar metals.
- By Melting and pouring the filler metal and pouring on to the joint
- Both the metals are pre-heated to a suitable temperature
- Filler metal fills the joint gap by capillary action.
Different Welding Processes
- SMAW –Shielded Metal Arc Welding
- TIG / GTAW – Tungsten Inert Gas
- GMAW /MIG – Gas Metal Arc Welding
- FCAW – Flux Cored Arc Welding
- SAW – Submerged Metal Arc Welding
- ERW – Electric Resistance Welding
- FSW – Friction Stir Welding
- Electron Beam Welding
And Lot more …….
Welding Codes & Standards
- ASME section IX – Welding & Brazing qualification
- ASME B31.1 – Power Piping
- ASME B 31.3 – Process Piping
- ASME Section VIII – Pressure Vessel
- AWS D 1.1 – Structural Steel Welding
- AWS B 2.1 – Specification for welding procedure & Performance qualification
- API RP 577 – Welding Inspection & Metallurgy
- API 1104 – Welding of Pipelines & related facilities
Process of WPS Preparation
- Select the thickness & dia. of the test plate/pipe to be welded.
- Prepare the plate/pipe to the required dimension & bevel configuration.
- Fit up in the required position.
- Ask the welder to perform the weld and prepare a Run sheet.
- Note down the Current, Voltage, Gas flow rate, travel speed of the welder for unit length & surface temprature. Calculate the Heat Input Values of each weld Pass
Test Weld Positions
- Welder should perform the test weld on the similar coupon following all the variables given the approved WPS.
- Example (position, approved filler metal, approved base metal, allowed Electrical characteristics, allowed Gas flow rate, Pre heat & post weld heating requirements.
- Perform Visual and NDT tests, Macro tests on the weld coupon and qualify the welder.
- Welder qualification certificate should be renewed 6 months once, as per code requirement.
For Welder Training, Welder qualification certificate & Welder Certification, Preparation of WPS /PQR, Approval of WPS & PQR, Welding Inspection trainings and Non Destructive Testing Services and Trainings reach us at https://aqcinspection.com/
Visit our technical and career updates at our Blog site https://advancedqualitycentre.blogspot.com . https://ndtcenter.blogspot.com our website https://aqcinspection.com/news-events/ for many more blogs to learn more.